Marianne Vos claimed victory – and the chief’s yellow jersey – on the second stage of the inaugural Tour de France Femmes.
The Dutch rider received a three-way dash end towards Silvia Persico and Katarzyna Niewiadoma on the 136.4km stage from Meaux to Provins.
Vos, 35, took the yellow jersey from compatriot Lorena Wiebes, who completed 29 seconds behind her in sixth place.
“It’s a lovely day,” mentioned Vos, who was a part of a six-rider breakaway.
The Jumbo Visma rider added: “I did not anticipate that we might breakaway and keep away.
“I wished to strive my greatest and to do the issues proper, however I additionally knew there have been some quick ladies.
“It was very exhausting within the last [part]. Everyone most likely had sore legs so I knew I simply needed to go and [see] if it will be sufficient.”
Within the common classification, Vos has a 10-second lead over second-placed Persico, of Italy, with Poland’s Niewiadoma an additional two seconds again.
Marta Cavalli, one of many favourites for the title, deserted the race after being concerned in a crash.
The Italian acquired again on her bike, however couldn’t end the stage.
Stage two outcomes
1. Marianne Vos (Ned/Jumbo Visma) 3hrs 14mins 02secs
2. Silvia Persico (Ita/Valcar – Journey & Service) Similar time
3. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol/Canyon//Sram Racing) Similar time
4. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita/Trek Segafredo) +2secs
5. Maike van der Duin (Ned/Le Col-Wahoo) +12s
6. Lorena Wiebes (Ned/Group DSM) +29s
7. Julie de Wilde (Bel/Plantur-Pura) Similar time
8. Rachele Barbieri (Ita/LIV Racing Xstra)
9. Lotte Kopecky (Bel/SD Worx)
10. Maria Giulia Confalonieri (Ita/Ceratizit – WNT Professional Biking)
1. Marianne Vos (Ned/Jumbo Visma) 5hrs 07mins 46secs
2. Silvia Persico (Ita/Valcar – Journey & Service) +10secs
3. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol/Canyon//Sram Racing) +12s
4. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita/Trek Segafredo) +18s
5. Maike van der Duin (Ned/Le Col-Wahoo) +28s
6. Lorena Wiebes (Ned/Group DSM) +35s
7. Lotte Kopecky (Bel/SD Worx) +41s
8. Rachele Barbieri (Ita/LIV Racing Xstra) +45s
9. Julie de Wilde (Bel/Plantur-Pura) +45s
10. Demi Vollering (Ned/Group SD Worx) + 45s